Saturday, January 5, 2013

"The Family" Part 5

"We declare the means by which mortal life is created to be divinely appointed. We affirm the sanctity of life and of its importance in God's eternal plan." (The Family: A Proclamation to the World)

Life is beautiful. Sex is beautiful. Our powers to create should be treated as sacred. I think I have a lot to learn about what this means in practice, and I have some thoughts of my own, but I like this statement and don't think I know many people who would take serious issue with it. Onward.

"Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. "Children are an heritage of the Lord" (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations." (The Family: A Proclamation to the World)

Again, no problems here. Parents should care about and for their children, and God cares if we do. Can I embrace this part of "The Family"? Yes, and I think it condemns us for our condemnation of homosexual children. It may not have in the past when we could still reasonably fear that a child could be led to homosexuality through example or coercion--then would could believe that we were protecting other children--but we no longer can reasonably hold this view. Both scientific consensus and the LDS Church have rejected it. God will hold us accountable for the physical and mental care we give our LGBT children. I see no indication of God's excusing a parent for rejecting a child in any degree as the consequence of perceived (or even real) sin. I see Christ's warning that if I harm a child, it would be better to have a millstone hung about my neck and be drowned. I do see evidence of God's allowing natural consequences to follow poor choices, but I see much more evidence of long-suffering love than tough love.

No comments:

Post a Comment