Sunday, October 7, 2012

My Personal Creed

When George Albert Smith was 34, he wrote 11 ideals that he committed to live by. I have adapted them for me, and wanted to share them. I found this list in the first chapter of _Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: George Albert Smith_. Two of my inspirations in the ways I worded my adaptations are writings of Hugh Nibley about accusation, and of Terry Warner about HOW to serve others selflessly.

 I would be a friend to the friendless and find joy in ministering to the needs of the poor and repressed.

I would invite others to see the hand of God in our everyday lives, and to seek and trust in His blessings in times of need.

I would teach the truth to the understanding and blessing of all mankind.

I would accept and love truth, whatever its source.

I would not be an accuser, and I would seek the best motives in people's words and actions.

I would help others find happiness according to their own best understanding and desires.

I would not seek to force people to live up to my ideals but rather use persuasion, meekness, long suffering, patience, kindness, generosity, and love to arrive with them at practices that will most benefit intelligences.

I would live with those who differ from me to help them achieve their righteous desires that their earth life may be happy.

I would not knowingly wound the feelings of any, not even one who may have wronged me, but would seek to do him good and make him my friend.

I would overcome the tendency to selfishness and jealousy and rejoice in the successes of all the children of my Heavenly Father.

I would not be an enemy to any living soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment