Friday, September 20, 2013

Not an Angry God

Scriptural Speculations on Transhumanist Gods

. . . whosoever is angry with his brother shall be in danger of his judgment. And whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council; and whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore, if ye shall come unto me, or shall desire to come unto me, and rememberest that thy brother hath aught against thee— Go thy way unto thy brother, and first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come unto me with full purpose of heart, and I will receive you.

I've been wanting to get back to figuring out what it takes to be an evolutionarily successful God in the vast expanses of reality. The Beattitudes are done, but I think there are more clues a little later on. It appears that anger toward, accusation of, and ridicule for others are grounds for keeping a growing god from reaching his or her potential. These verses don't just say that there are earthly consequences for anger, accusation, and ridicule, but that there are heavenly consequences. (Remember, these posts are for believers. I'm not interested in discussing how hyperbole can be a tool for controlling the masses, but in learning what I can from these scriptures that I'm choosing to take at face value, within limits.) Beyond avoiding attacks--even if they are just emotional--on our siblings, we must be reconciled with our brothers and sisters. I see in this one more little evidence that God doesn't do it alone, but that worlds--and universes--are created and maintained by communities. Why else would good relations be evolutionarily essential?

That was both a rhetorical and a sincere question, 

and that's all for this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment